Can I Really Rest? Certainly!


Before leaving Egypt, I met with a dear friend and pastoral counselor to discuss my plans for the future.  I appreciated her honesty, and will never forget her words.  She said, “Once you arrive in your home country and the girls go to school and your husband starts his classes, then you will realize how tired you are.  Rest. Give yourself time.” In the midst of the craziness of moving internationally and trying to finish well, I relished the thought.  I was being given permission to rest!  I longed for it, and wondered, “Maybe this is why the Lord gave me the word Sabbath for this year.” And yet, on the other hand, I fought against it, letting my insecurities and fears push me to secure a teaching license. Just in case. 

Could I really just rest?

And then we arrived in the United States.  Almost immediately, it seemed everyone’s number one concern for me was, “What will you do?” What will I do? Here I’d been told to rest, even given permission to do so, and it was like everyone was questioning my resolve.  I couldn’t believe how concerned everyone was with doing in this country, like if I wasn’t doing, I wasn’t being.  There were times when I wanted to shock them, and just shout, “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll do NOTHING! How does that make you feel?” But, I bit my tongue, and gave more culturally appropriate answers like, “I may substitute teach.” Or, “I’ve applied at several school districts. Just waiting to hear back.”

It was the perfect opportunity for the devil to take hold of my fear and make it grow.

Fast forward to last Monday night.  I’d subbed on Friday, cooked for potluck, helped with Sabbath school at church on Sabbath morning, attended a community event Saturday evening, cleaned with the deaconesses at church on Sunday morning, done laundry and cleaned house Sunday afternoon, taken Zivah to the doctor before school on Monday morning, cooked lunch for the school’s hot lunch program, done our weekly shopping while I was in town, and helped out with Adventurers Monday night.  When I finally sunk into bed, exhausted, I felt the Lord nudge me. Gently. And, the thought that entered my mind was “New place. Same problem.”

See…I’m a doer. I love doing.  I’ll volunteer myself to help out whenever I can.  Only problem is I overcommit easily.  For example, the other day while I was attending the ESL class on campus, I offered to do the dishes and help with cleanup.  The leader then asked for volunteers to go with her to visit a new international spouse.  Without thinking, I offered myself to go, too.  She jokingly replied, “How many Hadassah’s do we have?” And, I smiled, thinking she wanted to have more of me around. Then, I realized she was making the point that there is only one of me. 

There is only one of me.  It’s hard to admit.

And as much as I’d like to be doing all the time, I do for all the wrong reasons: to please others, to stay in control, to feel needed.  And the Lord is gently nudging me and making me aware that, like Dr. Kelly Flanagan so aptly says, “Doing is the enemy of becoming.” Becoming who God intended me to be before I was even conceived. Becoming fully aware that I am loved in spite of what I do.

Can I really just rest? Certainly, because my worth doesn’t have to be tied up in what I do, but instead in what He is doing in me.

So, next time someone one asks me what I am doing, pray I’ll have the courage to answer, “Resting in the Lord for He is good!” 

“There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.” (Hebrews 4: 9-11)

How are you making an effort to rest? Are their any myths, like doing is being, in your home or host cultures that make it difficult for you to accept God’s gift of rest?

Comments

elizabeth p said…
You are in a great place to rest, Hadassah. We're so glad you're here!

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Transition Through Vulnerability and Text Messages

Celebrating Birthdays

That Time The Lord Lined Up All My Ducks and Gave Me the Perfect Ammunition