These are all pictures of flowers in our yard! We have a gardener who comes four times a week and takes care of them for us. Aren't they beautiful? And check out the bananas!
We visited Lake Magadi once more on a Sabbath afternoon, but this time we didn't take the kids with us. (To see pictures from our previous visit, look under the post titled October trips and click on the web album.) Richard and I ventured into the water this time. The spring is not very deep, but really, really hot! While we were there, Richard took the car out for some four-wheeling in the mud. Here are the tracks he left behind. Mind you, I was NOT in the car! We had to take this picture, because we think this is the spot where part of the movie "The Constant Gardener" was filmed. We don't know for sure, but it's still a cool picture!
It’s incredible how our perception of risk changes with age and time on the field. My first overseas appointment was in the middle of my college years. I didn’t travel far from home, just taking a two-hour flight to Central America where I’d be teaching English at a primary school. I was young and naïve, and moved into a house with five other female volunteers and very little adult supervision. We were all a bit overwhelmed by the responsibility and the independence. Can you spell trouble? We planned weekend trips on buses to cities we’d never been to and went about our life in this small Honduran town as if we’d never left the United States. For example, my friend and I would go running through town in our shorts and T-shirts, never once thinking about how no respectable Honduran woman would be caught dead doing that. We were even less concerned for our safety. Needless to say, we endured groping on the street and didn’t quite no how to hand...
This past Monday night, I attended a Women’s Communion in our community. I thought I’d be participating in the Lord’s Supper, and discovered instead a wonderful fellowship meal awaiting us, where I was fed up both physically and spiritually. I was especially happy to be there, considering the speaker was my former “teacher/mentor” from the class I no longer could attend after I started working. She is retiring and this was her last chance to address us all, and she didn't fail us. After thirty years of ministry, she spoke about all the things she’s learned “since I was perfect.” Perfect, right?!?! There are many things that will stay with me from her short talk. How she’d rather not say she’s been used by God, because she’s been used by a lot of people and that’s not what God is about. How if she’s got everything under control, watch out, because she’ll be controlling you next! How we need to eat up Scripture, but at the same time, fi...
Comments