Our cupboards are beginning to look not so bare. We take a regularly weekly shopping trip to town for groceries. Nakumats are more like your local Walmarts.
It’s incredible how our perception of risk changes with age and time on the field. My first overseas appointment was in the middle of my college years. I didn’t travel far from home, just taking a two-hour flight to Central America where I’d be teaching English at a primary school. I was young and naïve, and moved into a house with five other female volunteers and very little adult supervision. We were all a bit overwhelmed by the responsibility and the independence. Can you spell trouble? We planned weekend trips on buses to cities we’d never been to and went about our life in this small Honduran town as if we’d never left the United States. For example, my friend and I would go running through town in our shorts and T-shirts, never once thinking about how no respectable Honduran woman would be caught dead doing that. We were even less concerned for our safety. Needless to say, we endured groping on the street and didn’t quite no how to hand...
This past Monday night, I attended a Women’s Communion in our community. I thought I’d be participating in the Lord’s Supper, and discovered instead a wonderful fellowship meal awaiting us, where I was fed up both physically and spiritually. I was especially happy to be there, considering the speaker was my former “teacher/mentor” from the class I no longer could attend after I started working. She is retiring and this was her last chance to address us all, and she didn't fail us. After thirty years of ministry, she spoke about all the things she’s learned “since I was perfect.” Perfect, right?!?! There are many things that will stay with me from her short talk. How she’d rather not say she’s been used by God, because she’s been used by a lot of people and that’s not what God is about. How if she’s got everything under control, watch out, because she’ll be controlling you next! How we need to eat up Scripture, but at the same time, fi...
As usual, Richard used his long arms to get a picture of us at the top. Then we posed for a more proper shot. It was so windy, though, that my hair just kept flying all over the place!
Comments