This past Monday night, I attended a Women’s Communion in our community. I thought I’d be participating in the Lord’s Supper, and discovered instead a wonderful fellowship meal awaiting us, where I was fed up both physically and spiritually. I was especially happy to be there, considering the speaker was my former “teacher/mentor” from the class I no longer could attend after I started working. She is retiring and this was her last chance to address us all, and she didn't fail us. After thirty years of ministry, she spoke about all the things she’s learned “since I was perfect.” Perfect, right?!?! There are many things that will stay with me from her short talk. How she’d rather not say she’s been used by God, because she’s been used by a lot of people and that’s not what God is about. How if she’s got everything under control, watch out, because she’ll be controlling you next! How we need to eat up Scripture, but at the same time, fi...
Occasionally, after Friday night vespers, we invite our faculty family over. Every family "adopts" a group of students and they become your faculty family. The kids love it! They get to crash a faculty member's house, eat their food, and just relax. We usually feed our faculty family popcorn (which Richard pops in our pressure cooker) and homemade sweet bread. I made them zucchini bread this last time and it was gone almost before it hit the table. We splurged and bought them Fanta, too! Here's one of our "kids" being a poser! Now, Richard being a goof-ball! The kids love him! Some of the students from other faculty families came to our house after they left their "home-away-from-the-dorm". We must of had twenty kids over! I ended up showing these girls my wedding pictures. That made for a lot of "Ahhhhhs!" We really have a great faculty family. They even cleaned the kitchen for me last time!
For Moi Day, a Kenyan holiday, we celebrated with Track and Field Day. Richard decided to run the 5K last minute. He ran it in 25 minutes 26 seconds. Not bad! He came in fifth overall. PJ had just arrived the day before, so I spent most of the day with him. Poor baby! He didn't even have time to recover from his jetlag. But, the kids loved him! I didn't participate in any event, but as staff I was in charge of measuring distance for the long jump and the softball throw. My legs got a workout from all the bending over! My students got to participate, as well. Here they are lining up with their partners to run the 100 m relay. Ms. Duvra is pumping them up! They did a great job! Look at them...really pushing it! I watched from the sidelines and cheered them on.
Comments