Our Long-suffering Lord

Long-suffering.  I’ve been thinking about this word for the past few weeks.

It all started when a ghost from our time in Egypt past reentered our lives in the form of an email.  Without going into much detail, I’ll just say that this was sent from a person whom we suffered long with.  And as I was reminded of the situation, I acknowledged the fact that it is easier for me to suffer long with difficult circumstances than it is to suffer with difficult people.

I say this because about the same time we received that email, I was sent pictures of my old house in Egypt.  Four years I “suffered” with a kitchen that was adequate, but by no means ideal.  During our time there, we had to replace the refrigerator and the stove, but not before months of making due with a leak in the fridge and an oven that blew out smoke.  Countless visitors came and commented on both, and yet, the changes came slowly.  As we were getting ready to move, word came that renovations would be in the works before the new family moved in.  I was so happy for them, but honestly a bit miffed that they hadn’t come during my time.  And now, as I admired the new countertops, the painted cupboards, and the change in layout, I marveled at the difference.

My present is no different.  While I walk around boxes and crates upstairs waiting to be unpacked and put away, circumstances that I am daily “suffering” with and seemingly without difficulty, I go to work and marvel at just how long-suffering my principal is with a certain student that I have been asked to work with.  Again, without going into much detail, this child is in need of help.  We all see it, but it doesn’t make it any easier to work with her.  Yet, our principal desires one thing alone: to get to the bottom of her pain, to find the best way to help her.

And I admire that, because it reminds me that God is the same way. “The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)

The Lord is patient towards ME.  I am the one He is suffering long with. I am the one He is trying to help, to get to the bottom of my pain.  This is what I need to remind myself of when I am not being long-suffering with others, wanting to write them off simply because I am fed up with what I view as "their nonsense."

What I should want to be able to endure well until the end is others, not things.


--> Lord help me to grow in long-suffering, remembering that you endured this world and continue to do so, for me. Renew in me a passion for those around me that are hurting, that parallels the passion that You have for me.   May I not turn around and exact from my neighbor what I feel they owe me when You have forgiven much of me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing with Transition Through Vulnerability and Text Messages

Por que Un Poquito....

My Date